Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Internships and Paying Jobs

As I climb out of the world of internships and into the world of paying jobs (slowly, very slowly) I'm beginning to see how diversifying ones self is the best possible way to get a job. There are lots of artists out there and art historians all looking for the same jobs in a market the size of a pin head. My most recent internship involves new media. I have always been interested in computers and the like but never to the point of seeing it as a career path. However the internship was there and I could not pass up the opportunity to bring twitter and blogging to my favorite museum.


I have come to realize that this is where I belong. I may not have to skills to build a computer or design a new operating system but, I do have the skills required to use web 2.0 to discuss content and update people on cool events.


Thanks to these skills (and the ability to explain wed 2.0 to people who think they hate computers) I now have a job at a music publishing company (I also still intern at The Aldrich).


So todays lesson: Asses all your skills and see what you can apply them too. You may be surprised at what ends up getting you a job.

No comments: