Sunday, September 6, 2009

HGTV

Erinn Valencich
Omniarte Design by Erinn Valencich
Email: erinn@omniartedesign.com
Website: www.omniartedesign.com

My mom watches HGTV constantly, and I used to laugh at her for it all the time. I just didn't get it, why was watching other people get new homes and decorate them so entertaining.

Even when I lived off-campus I never had the urge to decorate or even fully unpack. Knowing I was going to leave in a few months. The most I ever did was paint and that was only because my room was two different shades of pink (a color I have disliked since childhood).

Now I find myself in a perfectly wonderful apartment ( My bathroom is pink and black tile but I can't change that, and I may be growing on me uh oh), complete with window seats, high ceilings, and an archway. Suddenly I get the HGTV bug. All I want to do is get a job that will pay enough for me to buy curtains and a really cool striped chair. I want to go to flea markets and antique shops, and I scan Etsy constantly for new things.

In collage I started to give up a lot of my belongings, trying to fit my entire life into one bag. Granted this only worked when leaving for Ireland junior year, and my parents had to send me a huge box of things I forgot to pack. Not to mention the extra bag I had on my return home. But I did attempt it. Now I can't seem to fill my house fast enough. I keep driving to my parents house to pick up more books and watching "organizing your home" shows to find creative ways to store it all.

Is every one like this or is the HGTV bug genetic?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I first noticed my HGTV disorder around the time I moved off-campus. I even like the boring magazines my mom subscribes to now. I guess we're grown ups now.

Z Hew

Anonymous said...

Yes! All that you've said happened to me too! When I went away to London for a year, I was thrilled to have ONLY TWO SUITCASES of my things. But then my grandmother sent a box exploding with crap and I had to ship 2 boxes of books home. Two suitcase Deb no more. Then of course when you get a place of your own, you want to upgrade your things and decorate. I think it is inevitable. At first I hated what was happening to me. I loved my tiny apartment in Queens that was so simple and clean.Ah but then marriage and a baby! But now I embrace stuff for several reasons. One is that I now have the means to purchase nice things. I didn't have this until about 10 years ago, honestly. And secondly, I am now actually comforted by the things around me that are personalized, just mine, have meaning to me. Don't get me wrong, I am not a THING person, I can give up anything very easily if I had to, except maybe the harpsichord. But the truth is that I like things! You are a good writer, by the way, I enjoy reading your blog.

Katrina said...

Gina bean.. story of my life